There's a lot of talk about immigration- legal, illegal, whatever. Noone seems to offer a practical solution, though. Until now.
In a nutshell, this would be my approach to immigration:
1. Let the illegals come right over.
2. They just need to give us a little info (name, age, birthdate). At each border, there is an instant registration. Immigrants come right in.
3. The first year they are here, they have to work at a special "camp". They could make things for WalMart, or be taken out to places to clean highways.
4. They'd get "3 hots and a cot" for that year at no charge.
5. After the year, they'd get $1000, cash money
In short, they'd be providing a real contribution to society, and would not over-burden the system. They'd also have a greater respect for being a citezen, since they had to work for it.
There are some who would argue, "but would some illegals still come over?" These people are idiots who are missing the big picture. We don't tell the foreigners about the camps until they've signed the papers and are on the US truck. Then we make sure that they don't mention the camps in any correspondence back home. If they mention it, they get an extra year's service tacked on. Simple and effective, believe you me.